Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 29, 2010

Writing Center Shadow 7

Last week when I arrived at the Writing Center, the consultant I shadow was there on the computer.  A student was scheduled for an appointment, but unfortunately ended up being a No-Show.  The consultant and I chatted for about twenty five minutes and then she said that there wouldn't be enough time for a consultation and she had a Bible Study meeting at 8pm anyway, so we left.  Although this student did not attend, I feel comfortable with the amount of exposure I have had in the Writing Center.  Throughout this course I have felt more drawn to the idea of working with ESL students or in the Athletic Department rather than the Writing Center in Weinstein or assigned a class.  Working with ESL students interests me because I am an International Business Major and a Spanish minor and learning about other cultures has always fascinated me.  I enjoy hearing about how people interact in other cultures and what education is like for them back home.  Consulting in the Athletic Department also interests me, since I am in the area frequently for cheerleading.  Also, I figure that I can actually meet the athletes whom I cheer for.  Its always strange knowing these football players and basketball players by name and attending all their games, yet having never met the majority of them before.

1 comment:

  1. I think I would enjoy working in other places than the writing center as well. I think with other opportunities we get to know the students better and really have a long term chance to improve their writing.

    ReplyDelete